Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Modernist Cuisine

With a background in engineering and a naturally scientific mind, I love to experiment with different cooking methods (much more than my wife, who is concerned over our family's health and diet).  I find myself always salivating over the next piece of kitchen equipment I need to own:  ISI foamer, sous vide temperature controller, vacuum sealer, etc.  (all of which I have acquired in the last few years).
I have really been wishing long and hard for a copy of Nathan Myhrvold's Modernist Cuisine cookbook.... Its not even fair to call this item a cookbook.  Its a 6 volum set of books with over 1600 recipes and 2400 pages.  It covers everything from how to cook the perfect hamburger to hydrocoloids and emulsifiers.  To give a little back story, Nathan Myhrvold is the former CTO of Microsoft and is now the co-founder of a company called Intellectual Ventures.  Part of what Intellectual Ventures does revolves around cooking and the culinary "arts" (read food science).   Wired Magazine recently wrote a great piece about Modernist Cuisine in its recent issue.  Check it out here.

But ALAS... Modernist Cuisine is not within my humble budget for more cookbooks.  This one MSRP's for over $500.  (That won't stop me from asking Santa again for it this year.)

But today they announced the sale date of October 8th, 2012, for "Modernist Cuisine - AT HOME".  I'm so excited!!!  If this thing was a software package, it would be the "lite" version.  Its only $115 at Amazon.  Still a lot for a cookbook, but for a 465 page "kitchen manual'"  that might be more my price range.  Check out the link to the overview on modernistcuisine.com.  I've already added it to my Amazon Wishlist.


No comments:

Post a Comment